I'm C Ges and I have Sjogrens Syndrome. (Hi C Ges...) Like many invisible illnesses, people simply don't know what it's like, so my goal is to try to change that. If I can do that for just a few folks, I think it will be worth it.
A few years ago, I read a book by Amy Silverstein called Sick Girl. It was an autobiographical book about what a heart transplant is really like. She didn't skimp on the ugly parts, or the weird. It was not the usual disease book, where the author tries to stay positive and say inspirational things and encourage others. As such, it's not for everyone. But it was really honest, sometimes brutally so. I couldn't put it down.
I'm not easily influenced by typical encouragement or inspirational writing. I don't read poetry. Heck, I won't even read a greeting card unless it's funny. I'm not shallow. But what speaks to me is realism and truth. These are common qualities in good humor. They're what attracted me to Silverstein's book. And these are what I'm aiming for with this blog.
I'm going to talk about Sjogrens (and other issues as they come up) and how it affects me. I'll talk about the memories of strange symptoms. I'll talk about how they've evolved. And I'll talk about how all this gets messy when other people and outside influences are involved.
This will probably be mostly matter-of-fact, but there will be some anger, and bitterness, and reflection, and humor too. There's so much to talk about, I should have enough material to keep me going for years. I just need to, you know, keep going! Til next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment